Topper Images and RSS

I’m trying to figure out the differences and impacts of using topper vs. inline images in my posts. I read these threads where Adam states definitively that topper images will not appear in the site’s RSS feed.

Forum Thread 1
Forum Thread 2

I have a couple of posts with topper images. One of the images appears in my RSS feed and Facebook previews, but the other does not. The only difference I can discern is the image that appears is local, and the other is remote.

Here are the posts:

Am I missing something? I really like the way the topper images look and would like to use those, but only if they will show up in the feed.

Topper Images don’t appear within the body of the RSS feed’s article. The Topper Image does get propagated as the preview image for RSS feeds, as you’re seeing in your feed reader.

As for what you’re describing as “remote” vs “local” images – I don’t know what you’re talking about here. All image you use that you’re using for your site should be linked from your own server. You should not be linking to images on other servers where your site is not hosted.

1 Like

Thanks Adam. I used a URL to a remote image in the YAML for “A bridge too short.” I didn’t realize that wasn’t really supported.

BTW, I really appreciate your prompt and courteous responses. Very much appreciated in these days of automated phone attendants and endless queues that pass for customer support.

It isn’t that you can’t do it, but that you shouldn’t do it. You’re increasing that other person’s bandwidth, for which they have to pay. Plus you can end up with some problems with CORS (aka Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) as well.

It is best to use your resources on your own server. You’ll have fewer problems, and won’t be using someone else’s content.

No problem. Thanks for your kind words. I try to keep up with it all, and create and maintain new stuff. It is quite a bit of work, but it is important.

2 Likes

Thanks for educating me. Although I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the web, I’m fairly new to blogging. I’ve always felt it was more appropriate to refer to the original when possible, but after reading up on CORS, I totally get it. My previous mindset was formed in corporate environments where people would distribute various versions of the same file, with no way to determine which was current or original.

Ah, gotcha, makes sense. It would be better to host the file yourself and then give credit in the post, IMHO. Whether or not that is appropriate for every situation is up to you. That said, I’d get the original copyright holders permission to do so…