Requirements / tricks for using Disqus with Alloy?

Are there any special tricks or requirements to use the Potion Pack’s Disqus stack with an Alloy blog?

Obviously, you want to have a separate commenting area available for each individual blog post, not just one commenting area for all of the posts.

I haven’t started working on it yet but I didn’t see anything in the docs, so I wanted to check. Thanks in advance for any info.

I have a video planned for this topic, but that said… you can use the Conditional stack to make this happen. In the Full Post section of the Conditional stack you’d include your Blog Entries stack and the Disqus stack, while in the Summaries / Categories you’d include just the Blog Entries stack. This means you’d get a Disqus stack being added to the individual blog entries and Disqus will use the unique URLs generated by Alloy to identify your blog posts.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

@Noah – Get it all figured out?

I’m getting to it today. I was on a podcast last night and I was really nervous since I’d never done anything like that before. I spent most of the day preparing for it, in hope that I wouldn’t sound like an idiot.

I’m setting up a Disqus account but it wants to know what platform my site is on. Does the Disqus stack use a particular answer for that? Thanks in advance for any info.

Been quite a long time since I signed up for Disqus — what are the options you’re presented with?

That said it shouldn’t matter I don’t believe as you’ll just need your ID for Disqus as the stack will take care of the embed as you’ll see in the Disqus tutorial: Potion Pack of Addons for Foundry

@Noah They are asking only because they will then direct you to a page where they provide the code you put on your page (e.g. different code for WordPress versus other options). This is completely irrelevant for you. I believe there’s a “general” option and just use that. But you can safely ignore the code they later provide except for your relevant login credentials.

In the install procedure, they take you to a page that asks “What platform is your site on?” The page shows icons for Wordpress, Blogger, Tumblr, Squarespace, and 15 others. At the bottom, as MitchellM said, it lists “install manually with universal code.” What I wondered was if you had set up the stack to emulate Wordpress or something like that. However, MitchellM suggested that I plow ahead with the universal code option and just ignore the code, which he said I wouldn’t need. So I’ll give that a go. If it works, then the answer to the question will be here in the forum in case other people need it.

Thanks, MitchellM! I will give that a try and see what happens, just like in King’s Quest. :slight_smile:

You’ll be fine. No code needed as Adam’s Disqus stack provides all the code you need.

Disqus is just trying to be helpful and support people who are using a wide wide variety of platforms and tools.

1 Like

It’s working like a champ! Thanks, Mitchell and Adam!