Improved Workflow With Macros

If you’re not familiar with Keyboard Maestro (KBM), be sure to check out the free trial. KBM has become almost indispensable to me over the years and it’s one of the handful of apps I install immediately on a new Mac.

I was looking for a way smooth out some of the friction in my blog workflow. Although some of the editors have built-in tools for automation, in the end I decided to put together a couple of macros that are editor agnostic. The macros take care of two tasks: creating the YAML header and the file name. Unfortunately, you will still have to write your posts. :disappointed:

The only modification you’ll have make is to enter your own name for the Author field in one of the actions for the New Post macro. Since I write my own posts, I hard-coded it but you can edit the macro so the user is prompted for it just like the title, category and image info. I’m happy to try to assist with these macros, but please consult KBM support if you have other issues.

The enclosed zip file contains a readme (Blog Post Workflow), two macro files that can be imported into KBM, and a screen shot of the action containing the Author Name. The readme should give you an idea of how it works and whether or not you want to try it out.

I am not affiliated with Keyboard Maestro; except as a satisfied customer. The web site uses “we” and “us” when discussing the company, but as far as I can tell, Stairways Software is a one-man operation.

Blog Post Macros.zip (79.0 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for these. I’ve been meaning to learn Keyboard Maestro for about a year and just haven’t gotten started. These will help. And I will finally use the David Sparks course on KB.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I’m happy to be able to give back to the community.

1 Like