Alloy and RSS Feed Problem

This is why we call it a test, and not a release.

That said I cannot duplicate this problem here with the test release I sent you. Here’s a video I just made showing an existing set of entries, where I add a new one, and then edit it and nothing becomes duplicated: feed-no-dupes.mp4 • Droplr

If I am doing something different, and you can instruct me on how to produce the duplicates with the test version I sent you yesterday that would be appreciated.

@herbertkoeppel – Perhaps your reader is remembering your previous posts. Can you make a new test, in a new location on your server to test it out for me?

Well, I create a post just like you, we don’t do anything else.

Even if I change a post, it does not immediately appear twice or more. But after a while - when I open the reader, it is displayed twice or more. So is the experience of others here …

please check your mail …

After making the video earlier I added some more posts and left it alone, not changing anything since then. I have just revisited the site and feed reader and as well as made yet another change, and this is what I see:

Did you try the suggestion below for me? If not, please try this for me.

I’m trying really hard to solve your problem. The changes I made in the test I sent you seem to have stopped the duplicates here on my end in my testing.

I saw your email and did the test videos this morning, and just now, in response to your email about seeing problems still. I’m trying to get you to test something for me in a new location so that we can see if it is still a problem or just the feed reader remembering old posts.

Just to continue testing some more, I made another post, as well as edited it. The updates RSS code still seems to be working here with no problems:

I’ll test it again after lunch as well.

Just finished up lunch and made another post and did another edit. No duplicates so far since starting testing this morning… lunchtime-post.mp4 • Droplr

Have you had an opportunity to publish your blog to a new folder where you’ve not published it before? If so can you share the URL for testing?

Hi Adam,

The URL for the blog is News & Blogs | Herbert Koeppel

The post und the upload-images folder were moved yesterday from its default position in the main directory into the blog folder…

today i emptied all this folder, uploaded all files via rapid weaver and in the last hours i am filling the blog with the (old) post …

Just delete the rss feed in your reader an subscribe the rss feed from RSS Feed Blog Herbert Koeppel | Photographs - Workshops - Gallery

Is it right, that the rss.xml is only updated when browsing into News & Blogs | Herbert Koeppel
because after adding a new entry in the editor the rss.xml is not updated …

So far in the last couple of hours a see no duplicate entries in the rss feed reader … so far so good

Yes, the feed is updated when the blog or summary pages load. This is because the blog can be populated manually by adding Markdown files to the server by hand, instead of using the Editor. This means Alloy needs some way to know blog posts have been added so it can add them to the RSS feed. So when a blog entry or summaries view loads it generates the XML file.

https://www.naturfotoworkshop.at/blog/rss.xml

This is where your blog already was, originally, correct? I ask because I have that in my reader already, and it has duplicates because this is the location your blog lived at before and the reader remembers this. I was hoping you could put it elsewhere for testing. Maybe somewhere like https://www.naturfotoworkshop.at/test-blog/rss.xml or something similar. Having it in the same location you already had it previously is going to muddy the waters for the test.

Addendum: Thought I’d do another post and edit before the end of the work day. no-dupes-today.mp4 • Droplr

1 Like

Morning,

So far there are no duplicates in the feed and in the RSS reader.

2 Likes

Good to hear. I’ll wait another day to make sure everything is alright. If it does seem to be working then I’ll issue an update for everyone.

1 Like

Good morning,

good news.

Even today no duplicate entries in the News Reader.

1 Like

I’ve just pushed this update out live to everyone in Alloy v2.2.2

2 Likes

Hi Adam,

crazy, but i just look into the rss feed reader an all entries are double … ???

You used the new v2.2.2 right? If so I expected you’d see this. I changed the time stamp slightly in this build to prevent posts from possibly appearing to be a day old. It was a bug that cropped up during testing of the version I sent you. This means that those posts time stamps changed after you updated and revisited the page. The perils of being a beta tester… sometimes things have to change between the test version and the release version.

Sorry Adam, i just using the version you sent me. it is still V 2.2.1 you sent me directly…

How to get the Alloy v2.2.2? Then i republish all files again and test it. You can say that it’s a little frustrating …

Of course it is much better with Foundry, but the built-in blog version of the old RW was completely unproblematic as far as RSS was concerned.

If you’re saying you’re having the same problems with 2.2.1 then 2.2.2 will do nothing different for you as it is based off of the version you have as a test.

I’ve still had zero duplicates with the test I sent you. It being Saturday I am not in the office, but if I can get time to do so I’ll add some more posts and edit some posts and post the results. What specifically triggered the duplicate posts this time?

Bugs are no fun to begging with. Testing and retesting bugs is even less fun. But considering you’re the person seeing and reporting the bug I don’t have much other choice than to ask for your assistance.

I am sorry if you’re frustrated over this bug, but bugs happen in all software. No software is 100% free of bugs. We just have to work to fix them and that includes testing. If you’d rather not help with testing that is fine but I can’t get a bug that you’re experiencing fixed without your help, as right now I’m no longer seeing the bug after my fix.

You’re can go back to using the RW based blog and if you like. That would mean not seeing this fix through by helping test it. I understand if you want to do that.

If there’s anyone else here that is experiencing the duplicate posts bug I’ll send you a test version. Perhaps others would like to help.

Now back to the bug itself — did you publish to a completely new folder? What is the URL of the completely new folder?

Still no duplicates here with v2.2.1 test version I sent you. Here’s a screencast of my additions and editing just now: saturday.mp4 • Droplr

I’m thinking that the bug is cleared up in Alloy itself, but perhaps there’s something with your setup that is causing a duplication. Or something that you’re doing that I am not that is causing a problem.

Please detail for me exactly what you did before seeing the duplication this last time. Also, please let me know as I mentioned in my previous post, where your completely new publishing folder is located.

Did you use the Stacks updater to get the latest version?

Latest version would make no difference. It is the same fix as the one I sent @herbertkoeppel privately.