Set up problem affecting navigation

Hi
I’m completely new to RapidWeaver and Foundry, and I’m probably being a bit cheeky asking here, but I’ve a sneaky suspicion someone here can point me in the right direction.
I’ve two machines running Mac OS, Apache and RapidWeaver with Foundy. On the first machine, MacBook Pro, everything is fine in respect to site navigation. On the second however, clicking any link from the home page opens up finder instead of jumping to the link in the browser (Safari).

Both machines are fully updated and I’m guessing something is wrong with the second machines Apache config. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers…

Hey there @Mark678!

When you’re previewing your site and running into the problem are you using RapidWeaver’s “Preview Site In…” feature to preview your pages in Safari or are you Exporting them all and then opening the individual HTML file in a browser. If it is the later, this is likely your problem. Try using RapidWeaver’s “Preview Site In…” feature, found in the “File” menu in RapidWeaver.

Hi
Thanks for replying. It’s a bit odd. I’d ticked the “after publishing locally, preview using safari” option in the publishing preferences. Until this morning, that would open safari when publishing was complete, but instead of opening the site using local host, it would do so using a file url. This no longer works at all now, I.e. even though the option is still ticked, and safari still selected, it no longer opens after publishing.
Note that i’m Publishing to a local folder with the website address setting set to local host.
So… using the “preview page in safari” file menu option works as expected on the laptop. But the option to preview in safari once publishing is complete does not.
I will check the desktop later.

Thanks

Ps… seems more likely a RapidWeaver issue?

Personally, this isn’t a worthwhile way to do it. Using the option I mentioned in my first post is better – the “Preview Page In…” feature, that is. If you’re exporting to upload that is fine, but you don’t need to export to preview in an external browser, as RW has that functionality built-in for you.

Once you publish your pages, either through RW’s publishing engine, or by exporting the site and uploading it, you won’t likely run into this problem either. Opening individual HTML files in a browser can be a problem depending on how things are linked. All that said, what you’re dealing with is related to how the browser is dealing with the links within the local HTML page.

Thanks again, I’m gonna try the other machine tomorrow and see how it goes. I’m thinking, given I hadn’t noticed straight away that the option to preview in safari after publishing was opening a file path and not a web address, there might not be a problem… other than a bit of buggy code in RW fo course.
Cheers.

FYI: I just had a look at the behaviour on my desktop machine and it’s just as flaky.
The option to open in safari after publishing works, but opens a file url and not the http address. If I then click a link in the nav bar, the files container is opened in finder.
If I use the File / Prview in Safari, the page is opened by IP address. Clicking a link on the nav bar very slowly opens the page in safari, AND also opens the page in RW too. Very strange… it looks like the best option is to open the browser manually and navigate to the correct page manually.
Cheers

When you export it is locally, to your computer. This is why it is opening the files on your computer and not via a URL. You will need to publish to your server to achieve that – whether that means publishing within RapidWeaver, or Exporting and then publishing using your favorite FTP software. The feature in RW is doing what it is intended to do, it is just not super useful to most people. As I said above in my other posts – if you want to preview the site in a browser use the “Preview Page In…” feature or publish your site to your server and then check it out that way. Exporting your site to your computer is good for if you’re publishing manually via your FTP software – that’s about it. Otherwise I would advise using RW’s in-app publishing features.

Hope that helps.