Quiet, but busily working

While on the topic of the Asterisk, I would like the Asterisk to be removed as you can always add it to the label if you want it. It just adds clutter and needs an expiation which adds further clutter. The error message should explain if its needed and hasn’t been entered correctly.

Edit: The Form Pro has become a huge layout that doesn’t fit on a mobile screen.

Then don’t use the Foundry form stack for now until I update it. I mentioned above that I would look at add a checkbox feature after themes were done being updated. I feel like instead of reading these things you would rather repeat the same thing again and again to argue a point that I’ve already addressed. The more time I have to spend treading the same ground the less time I have to focus on updates.

Again, I covered this in previous posts. Please scroll up and reread them.

I don’t currently have any plans to remove them. I personally would want to know what is required of me before I fill out a form. Once I submit it, I don’t want to have to go back and redo form items that I was unaware were required until after submitting the form. Appreciate the feedback, but this is not a feature that is going to be changed at this time.

I am not sure what you’re referring to. The Form Pro stack is responsive and fits pretty nicely on mobile devices:

If you’d like to shoot me an email or DM showing the problem you’re running into with the Form Pro stack not fitting on a mobile device, along with a sample project file, I’d be glad to look at it.

That said, I have themes that aren’t going to update themselves, so I’m off to do that.

Going back to this one real quick – @Fuellemann If I were to add a configurable message to the stack itself where do you envision that message about required fields being put?

1 Like

At the bottom - it has to be after the last field containing an asterix…

So really a Note stack would work for now then. I’ll add it to the list though.

2 Likes

I re-examined the Form Pro stack today as I had a couple of minutes of down time between sending out themes. I wanted to see why when I built the form I would have left out the error message for the checkbox.

If the Checkbox field is set as required for submitting the form, the form does not allow you to click the submit button to send the form contents. I think it is pretty straight forward.

Video of it in action: form-checkbox.mp4 • Droplr

I’ll take some time to look and see what it would be like with an error message there, but in doing so that means the error message would be there from the beginning as it would not meet the requirement from the start and is not like other fields that your cursor can enter and leave.

In the video above it is possible for the user to think that the form has been sent before the checkbox is ticked.

Heres a video of how a good GDPR compliant and also very clear what is required of the user, contact form works - https://d.pr/v/jiEK3V

The checkbox that needs to be ticked is not a conventional checkbox which is what is provided in Form Pro. The GDPR Checkbox is a checkboxbox that MUST be ticked to enable the send OR clearly flagged as not ticked before the form can be sent.

1 Like

The button is unclickable, the cursor shows an icon indicating that is can’t be clicked, and the form never gives a success message. Literally nothing happens.

The checkbox for this is no different from any other checkbox control.

Indeed. If you indicate the checkbox is required then the form cannot be sent until the user consents to doing so by checking that box. And the form item is marked as required, as previously stated above in other posts, by the asterisk. If you wish to explain what the asterisk is to the visitor, you can do so on the page as well. All of this has been covered above in this thread.

Thats the potential problem right there. It assumes that the user will understand the icon that indicates that the button can’t be pressed or clicked. In a users mind he or she can certainly press or click it but what they don’t understand is that even though they clicked the button that nothing happens. Users are not stopped from clicking the button in any way. What happens is the the button doesn’t work as a send button but some users will not know that. Icons are not a good way to convey a problem like this. A plain english easy to understand message is required.

If you throw up a big red warning message then all users will understand it.

Forms and all human UI interaction must cater for the lowest skill and experience level otherwise the UI can fail and a form is the worst place that a web site can fail.

1 Like

No, it isn’t just the icon. They literally cannot click the button. It does nothing. If that is not enough then this stack may not be the contact form solution for you.

The warning message would require the button being clicked first, then the form validated to check to see if the checkbox was was checked or not… But since the checkbox is not checked, the button cannot be clicked. See where I’m going here?

I feel like this circular conversation is not going anywhere, so I’ll say it a last time and we can move on:

If you include a checkbox and require it to be checked in order to send the form, then the form will not send unless it has been checked by your visitor. Required fields like this have an asterisk added to the label which, as with most forms on the internet, indicate the field is required.

That said, if the required checkbox is not checked the form button provides feedback and indicates the form cannot be sent by making the button inactive, unclickable and adding a icon to the cursor to help stress the point.

If all of this is not enough to indicate to the user that the field is required you can also add a bit of text to the page telling the user that fields marked with an asterisk are required in order to submit the form. As I indicated to @Fuellemann earlier in the thread I would look at a way to incorporate this message as a customizable element in the future.

None of these things though relate to whether the form is, or is not, GDPR compliant. You can indeed add the required GDPR checkbox field to the Form Pro stack and make sure the form is not sent without the visitor’s consent. I will look at a similar solution for the normal Form stack as well once I get past theme updates, as I also mentioned above.

It would be great to have this feature, looking forward.
Cheers

1 Like

You are looking at the mechanics of how the form works and missing the bigger picture. The issue is not that the form cannot be sent until the box is checked. That is not the issue here. It isn’t a GDPR issue either. It’s a basic UI issue.

The issue is that users can “click” the send button even though it is not “active”, it is a button and can be clicked in users minds. No colour change when clicked means nothing to some. Nothing stops that from happening, and because a noticeable message does not appear to alert them that the checkbox is unticked, at that point the user can think the form sending is finished and complete, and that the form has been sent and they go elsewhere on the web in the comfort of thinking they just sent a message. You can’t then tell that user because they didn’t get a confirmation message, after the button “click” that the form didn’t send because they are long gone. Also many mobile users will not register a button click because their finger obscures the button.

This situation happens all the time and is a common occurrence with RW users who state they sent a support message and no message arrives. They probably just thought the they sent the message because the form UI process was not as clear as it could have been.

I will not argue further with you on this. You’ve said the same things time and again, to which I have answered you, and I am not going to continue to have a circular conversation with you about it. As I’ve said multiple times, I’ve replied to all of your points above in the thread. Go back and read them if you like. If not, that is up to you.

If you don’t wish to use the Form Pro stack because you don’t like it, that is your choice.

Since this thread about theme updates has been thoroughly hijacked by a circular discussion that is way off topic, I guess I’ll close it now. I’d hoped to keep it open in case people had questions about the original topic of theme updates.