Possible bug with Glide sticky navigation with Hover Image

This may be a bug or a known incompatibility, but adding a Hover Image stack into Glide breaks the sticky navigation effect of Glide.

Hi there @Bioguy – If you’d like to post up a link to a ZIP file that contains a copy of your project file I’d be happy to take a quick look at it and see what the problem might be.

Of course, but I didn’t include a link or file because it isn’t limited to any specific project of mine. I take it you don’t see this then?

Here is a fresh, one page project with one Glide Stack and some random Foundry stacks thrown in plus a Hover Image.

Then, this is what I see before adding in a Hover Image stack and then after. The same thing happens when previewing in Safari.

I like to have a project file in-hand before diving into recreating it myself. This allows me to see exactly what you have on the page, what the interactions and configuration is and whatnot. Saves us all a lot of time in the end.

I will take a look at this after lunch and see what I can suss out.

So the problem lies with how a few things work. Partly it has to do with the way Stacks applies overflow: hidden to most stacks items. This is purposeful and understood, but some stacks need to break out of this confinement and set elements to overflow: visible to achieve some effects, whether they be animations, drop shadows or what not.

In this case the Glide stack does not like to be forced to have overflow: visible… but stacks like Hover Image need this to show some of its animations. This leads to a conflict between the two, with Hover Image winning out in this case.

I think I can work around this by looking at the page to see if Hover Image is within a Glide stack and only apply the overflow: visible up to a certain point. This should fix the problem for the most part, but I’ll have to see after some testing.

This occurs with other stacks that force overflow: visible on elements as well when placed inside of the Glide stack. It is just a negative interaction because of the way the two things work.

With all that being said, I think I can make the two play well together, but will need to do some testing after I get the fix coded up.

Addendum: The one caveat will be that animations that might go outside of the main content section of the Glide stack will be cut off.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I don’t know if there is anything to be gleaned from this, but I also have a copy of Nick Cates’ Rails stack and it seems to behave fine with Hover Image.

On the outside they look so similar, but perhaps the coding is very different. I really wouldn’t know.

They are indeed differently coded. While similar, they’re definitely different creations and thus work differently. As I mentioned, I should be able to make it all coexist, just have to dive into the code and get it going, along with do some testing afterwards.

2 Likes

Appears to be fixed with your latest update. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good to hear. I’ll go ahead and mark this one as solved then.

1 Like