Just bought FOUNDRY & Potion Pack

I finally got off my rearend and bought Foundry. I have no idea what I am doing, but loving reading the forums, playing with others projects and trying to get a skill set that isn’t embarrassing. Get ready for lots of questions …LOL

2 Likes

Welcome to usinig Foundry. Fantastic websites have been made with Foundry. And the community here is quite helpful.

I’d suggest starting off as simple as you can, then adding different looks/stacks as you become more comfortable with how the whole Foundry-thing works. There’s a ton of useful stacks and that can be a bit overwhelming at first. Getting to know the different navigation approaches can be a very helpful starting place as there are a few different mobile nav options, plus regular desktop/tablet options.

1 Like

Hello, I’m right there with you. I bought Foundation last weekend and I’m learning what all the stacks do and how to use them. I haven’t bought the Potion Pack but probably will very soon.

1 Like

If you want to, go Pre-Built RapidWeaver Project files for Foundry and get one of the free templates. This will show you how the foundry system works and the effects of the stacks. Then try to rebuild this template to learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome! Always glad to see new faces in the community!

If you all have questions don’t forget there is a load of documentation and tutorial videos for the main Foundry stacks, as well as the Potion Pack stacks that compliment Foundry.

If you can’t find something there that covers what you’re trying to figure out, definitely feel free to post on the forum and ask your specific questions.

And finally, if there are some tutorial videos you’d like to see in relation to Foundry, send me a direct message or something and I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

New user here too. While the documentation and tutorial videos are a good help, it would be even more fantastic if there was a video (or a series of videos) showing how to built a complete website from start to finish.

That‘d be a great help. Well, for me at least :wink:

Cheers,
Darian

1 Like

A series of videos building a site from start to finish is a possibility. That said it is hard to do something like this and make it valuable to everyone as each person’s site is going to be different in many ways. It is the reason that up to this point I’ve concentrated on videos that cover how to use each stack. That way each user can put those individual stacks together on their pages as they see fit for their design.

With all of that in mind, Ben over at Realmac Software has done a series of videos like what you describe for Foundry, which you can checkout here.

I won’t rule out doing my own for Foundry, I just think it may not cover enough for everyone. But I could be wrong.

2 Likes

As Adam noted, Ben from RealMac created a “course” in how to create a Foundry site. But it shows only 1 particular way to do it.

I think I would suggest focusing on the basics and leaving all the “cool effects” stuff for a little later. To me, at least, the basics includes:

• Navigation: how will people get around the site? this includes all the basic navigation options. Adam offers a LOT of options. On more complex sites I tend to have a very simple main-menu nav combined with a more complex vertical navigation that shows in the sidebar. This is my combination for both simplicity and detail. But, in fact, there are lots of ways to handle navigation in Foundry. And you can create fairly complex and very compelling one page websites with Foundry: in that case you need to use the Mega Menu option.
  • Containers. Big, big, big. Unlike traditional themes you can vary the width of various sections of your page using containers. This can create really nice effects.
  • the basic Foundry stack where you set up all the styles/options for your website.
  • Typeface stack. This is one amazing stack that makes it super simple to control the type of fonts used on your website. Absolutely brilliant how Adam has implemented this feature.

My own suggestion would be to start by playing around with those stacks using some simple paragraph stacks for short content (just dummy content). Once you have the look you want, or looks you want, then go forth and make real websites!

Finally there are some folks who have made Foundry “projects”: these are essentially website templates. While it is unlikely one of these projects will give you exactly what you want, they are great ways to learn how to put together an interesting website. There are a few folks who do this. @Fuellemann already mentioned Adam’s project files. In addition you might want to look at the ones made by @egomade. He’s made some very interesting ones here: https://egomade.com

Vitor (developer for Egomade) was creating a new project about once a month. He hasn’t made a new one for the past 2-3 months, but he still has a good selection posted.

3 Likes

@mitchellm Thanks for the mention,

I’m building some new ones as we speak, but these few months were really hard, I’ve lost someone closed to me and that alone as made me delay everything in life not just egoMade projects.

I hope I can start to deliver some new ones soon.

Best

10 Likes

@mitchellm
Thanks for your detailed answer. Some very useful advices there.

@egomade
I‘m sorry for your loss. Hope all is well for you soon enough.

I‘ll check out those templates. So far I tried to remake some websites I found nice. Quite a task to be honest.

Cheers,
Darian

3 Likes

I’m very very sorry about your loss. I completely understand how difficult a time it must be.

You do fantastic work, and make a great contribution to the Foundy community. But we can be very patient. Take whatever time you need. You’ve already provided much inspiration for others!

3 Likes

Hi Vitor, my most sincere condolences.

Best

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. All the best for you!

2 Likes

I am really sorry to hear this @egomade. My sincerest condolences. If there’s anything any of us can do for you, at all, please ask.

4 Likes

Thank you friends, I really appreciate you support and patience.

5 Likes