Bootstrap4 Breakpoints

Are there plans to use the new Bootstrap4 breakpoints in Foundry?

i.e.
Extra small devices (portrait phones, less than 576px)
Small devices (landscape phones, 576px and up)
Medium devices (tablets, 768px and up)
Large devices (desktops, 992px and up)
Extra large devices (large desktops, 1200px and up)

1 Like

@webdeersign – Foundry tries to keep things simple and concentrate on the most used breakpoints - small, medium and large. These particular breakpoints are what are used in Foundry now, but are just called Mobile, Tablet and Desktop as they’re more descriptive. Foundry does use the Extra Large breakpoint in one or two stacks where it is thought necessary. And example is the Banner stack where the Extra Large breakpoint is referred to as Wide Screen. The Extra Small breakpoint is pretty small though and there’s not a ton of use for it in comparison to the the Small breakpoint, IMHO.

I would be very supportive of adding a Small Mobile equating to 576px which is perfect IMO. Coming from a Foundation background, the Foundation 640px is even too big I think. 768px is pretty big for a “mobile” and is termed a Tablet by others.

Also I think the recent extra BP’s added to Foundation 6 and Bootstrap 4 are proof that there is a need for more BPs.

1 Like

I just noticed that the Card Deck already has an Extra Small device Breakpoint and it collapses at about 550px (according to RW) which is perfect. This is a perfect example of where a smaller BP makes sense.

The Card Deck definitely needed that breakpoint. It made sense for that stack, and that is why it was included. Not all stacks within Foundry will need such a feature though. I try to make sure everything is as simple as possible in the main set of stacks.

The main breakpoints will serve the majority of people well. There will be cases that arise that may warrant the more granular breakpoints being added in the future, but that will come on a case-by-case basis, of course.

2 Likes