Alloy's order of posts

Is it possible to have my posts in oldest to newest order?

Rather than new at the top going down to older dates

Hi there @Domino – No, that is not an option. Alloy works like a traditional blog. Newest content first. Might I ask what the use case scenario is for having a blog with oldest blog posts first?

Hi Adam.
First let me say that I bought Alloy yesterday and alredy find it fantastic. Also the discount is very very generous. Its amazing bang for ones buck.

Yes I should imagine there is no demand for a reverse order blog.
The scenario is that I am creating a blog to tie in with a novel I am writing. The blog is to be written as if it is one of the characters in the novel writing it.
It needs to be as realistic as possible, so I guess reverse would not bbe ideal… I just wanted to test it.
Because ofcourse the story will be running backwards! Maybe thats good though. I just thought I’d ask.

Thanks for getting back so quickly … and thanks for everything… I own and use everything ever created by Elixer Grapics !

Thanks for all the kind words. Glad you’re enjoying Alloy already!

That is definitely a very unique use case, without a doubt!

If you know the number of entries you’ll have already for this very specific use case, you could plan it all out ahead of time and date the posts in reverse order, and just hide the dateline on the posts. Maybe that would work.

That said, I probably won’t add such a feature to Alloy as it really doesn’t have much of a use in a normal, non-novel blog. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m really LOVING Alloy. I am a slow learner which drives me nuts, but Alloy is easy!

Thanks for the above advice … its ok Im just working on it being backwards.
Quick question… Can I make a post have more than one category?
For example a post would show up under more than just one category. For example a post about a sports car would come up when the catagory RED was clicked and also EXPENSIVE.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying Alloy so much!

Categories are only one per post. That said tags are on the roadmap. Tags would be multiple entries per post.

You’d then have a category of “car” with tags of “expensive,” “red” and “electric.” If that makes sense. This is a ways off though.

1 Like

Another example where it would be nice to reorder the display of posts:

You attend an 8 day event. Update friends and family with a post on Day 1, 2 3 etc.
You want to leave an archive of the 8 days on the web for everyone to revisit but the order is Day 8, Day 7 Day 6 etc.

It would be nice to leave the experience documented in the order it unfolded. Day 1 first and Day 8 last.

Thanks for the feedback @mdewart. Your example would make the entire blog go in the opposite order, not just those 8 entries unfortunately. Setting the order of just those posts to be reversed would not be a possibility – it would be impractical. As I mentioned back in June of 2020, re-ordering blog posts isn’t a feature that is likely to come to Alloy. Sorry.

Can’t you change the date of posting later on so that these posts can be seen in the order you want them to?

Yes, revising the original dates on the posts to reorder them is a good work around that I am implementing with success now. Thanks.